About the author...
It wouldn't be right if I didn't say, first and foremost, that I am a Gamer to the core. My first ever game, if I can remember correctly, was either Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive or that ludicrous McDonald's game that saw you collect trash and put it in bins. (It also brainwashed you into chain-scoffing burgers). I'm pretty young; born in the glorious year of 1991.
I'm a big literature buff. This seeps through into my Gaming life: whilst I can appreciate the action and the adrenaline of Gears or the addictive epileptic brain-funk of Geometry Wars, I find the most comfort in a good narrative. There is nothing better than immersing yourself so deep into a storyline that you forget to eat - that each time one of your characters gets so much as hurt you yell at the screen and cry into the crook of your arm (Read: Aerith). Personal favourites include Fallout (all of them), the Mass Effect series, Pokémon (because there IS a lot of good narrative force pushing you on) and the Shin Megami Tensei series. If you haven't heard of them, look them up. Now. It will change your life.
Online gaming is a laugh for me. That's pretty much the limit. I play socially when not at Uni (the ports here block Xbox Live, PSN, Steam and everything else you might enjoy), but often not competitively. Although I did get to #7 in the World on Soul Calibur 4 at one point. Boo-ya. Online revolves mostly around Halo, Tekken, MvC and maybe - maybe - a bit of CoD from time to time.
Currently, my excitement levels are steadily in the red for Pokemon Black 2/White 2. I'm not even ashamed. Also looking forward to that Devil May Cry reboot and the ever-delayed FFXIII Versus. Dishonored looks interesting, too.
Outside of the Gaming Stratosphere, I'm a big "foodie" - abusing myself with whatever delicious sustenance I can lay my hands on. From chorizo to chocolate, I'll devour it if it smells nice enough. I'm also a bit of an audiophile, book junkie and comic nerd. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll take a few photographs here and there. Otherwise, you'll find me learning my way through the most recent (and decent) progressive rock albums, trying to play my guitar with some degree of skill.
I love attention, too.
But you probably guessed that already.
Below is a list of all published articles, with the most recent displayed first
- Defining Games, Part I: ‘Culture’
- Best of 2012 - 10 Games and Their Classic 8-Point Story Arcs
- 10 Games and Their Classic 8-Point Story Arcs
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - Review
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - MP, Campaign, and Film Preview
- Ripping The 'Art From Our Chests - Arts Courses and Gaming
- Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Review
- Soul Calibur V - Review
- Philosophers on Gaming: Part I – Nietzsche
- Tekken Hybrid - Preview
- Milking The Cash-Cow Dry
- Supreme Ruler: Cold War - Review
- We’re All Becoming Too Commercial
- Shadows Of The Damned Preview
- I’m Playing Mind Games With You
- Crysis 2 - Review
- Shift 2 Unleashed Preview and Interview
- Homefront - Interview and First Impressions
- Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds - Review
- Eat Your Art Out