+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HDTV, 40", Picture in Picture

Guten Tag. UselessJack will become famous soon enough UselessJack's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: UselessJack PSN ID: SenseiFox Steam ID: senseifox Raptr ID: UselessJack

Well there is this 17" CRT TV collecting dust in my loft that I really don't need anymore and give you for the shipping costs but well, you said you have your standards. But if you ever change your mind, give me a call

The Virgin Destroyer Van-Fu San will become famous soon enough Van-Fu San's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vice Destroyer PSN ID: ViceDestroyer Steam ID: ViceDestroyer Raptr ID: Verflucht

Man, habe ich Schwein gehabt. Ich kaufe es.

Spoiler ->

Not really, dude.

Bravia, blocky & saturation? Dont have any problems like that with the one I got just over a week ago.
    To me its the best darn picture I've ever seen.. cant get enough of it.. I even turn it on late at night and watch BBCHD when nothing is on o_O

Great Leaping Salamanders of Flame!

The Virgin Destroyer Van-Fu San will become famous soon enough Van-Fu San's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vice Destroyer PSN ID: ViceDestroyer Steam ID: ViceDestroyer Raptr ID: Verflucht

MarkuzR sees imperfections that the average gamers don't notice. It's a blessing and a curse. I'm waiting to see what MarkuzR recommends before I buy.

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Actually, the high end Bravia sets (can't comment on the low end though) tend to use regular Samsung panels or the S-PVA advanced Samsung panels... but the problem isn't actually to do with the mechanics of the Bravia sets, only the software that controls the picture quality... it's flawed. To achieve the quality of a £1000 Samsung TV in the Bravia range you'd need to be looking at around £2200 as the general rule is to double the Samsung costs then stick on a little extra for good measure. If you compare Bravia sets to Samsung sets side by side (which I do every time I'm in a TV shop whether I have no plan on buying) you'll see that Sony tend to have demo discs with peaceful and tranquil scenes such as coral reefs... the impression is that they're trying to show you the level of detail and the high levels of saturation... but it's really so the onboard compression software doesn't have to work overtime to reduce the blocks of something like white water rafting. The same scenes on a Samsung are generally (although not always, as they obviously have cheaper ranges with cheaper components) more realistic colours - less vivid and over-saturated but the skin tones as well as the blacks and whites are much more realistic and their colour ramping is exquisite.

We almost bought Philips over Sony because the Philips image was far superior with legit action scenes but in the end I figured it was better to learn about the tech inside the units to see what COULD be done if you wanted to go the extra mile. Bravia fell flat as they would rather that everything was handled automatically by the on-board processor whereas Samsung give full control over every aspect of the image from the software that controls the panel itself to the level of dynamic contrast... everything you could possibly want to tinker with. Out of the box it was great, but after a rainy Sunday afternoon in the engineer's menu it was outstanding. Still is.

It's always a case of "to each their own" though as there people who rave about the Bravia series, because it does what they want it to do. I think that's fine but, for me, I want more bang for my buck... I don't want to spend double just because it's got a "SONY" badge on the front. I'd rather pay less for better quality... or more, as the case is with our original Sammy over our new Sammy. If I could have had the choice between our current 50" Samsung at the price we paid, which I think was around £1100 or £1300 or a 50" version of our 40" telly at £2000 I'd have paid the extra for the quality. So it's not really about Samsung being a better set than a Bravia set, it's about particular models being better than other equivalent models.

You're right Vic, I do see those bloody imperfections.. which still annoys the hell out of me considering I can't see for shit! Stick me in front of a big screen TV and ask me to read the subtitles and I couldn't begin to know what they were saying... but if Sky end up broadcasting an overcompressed stream then I start going mental over the blocks. It's sad. I need help.
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Banned The Preacher will become famous soon enough The Preacher's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Erudite Knight Steam ID: erudite_knight

I went off Sony. The Triton in my mother's living room cost nearly three grand, just under 8 years ago, and it's already starting to go. Picture is pink and red toned regardless of what I try to do with the colour settings, and the sound comes on 10 minutes before the picture kicks in. Before that we had a cheap generic set that cost a couple of hundred quid that lasted 17 years. Doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not sure I'd buy anything other than Samsung or a Toshiba Regza, maybe a higher-end Panasonic Viera.

Achievement Hewah The Rook has a spectacular aura about The Rook has a spectacular aura about The Rook's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x The Rook x

My head is getting pickled over looking at TVs. Had been keeping an eye on the Samsung 7000 series and even looking at the 6400 and 5500 series but I don't know. Seems anything over 70ms lag is bad and preferring closer to 40 or under. I'd probably notice the lag when playing racing games as they can be split second decisions or actions.
    Surely you can't be serious!

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

This is the TV we now have in the lounge... CLICKY... and it has an insane 16ms response rate. Yeah... 16ms... fucking awesome TV it is, too.
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Achievement Hewah The Rook has a spectacular aura about The Rook has a spectacular aura about The Rook's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x The Rook x

My mate has a plasma too but I always thought I was going LCD due to burn-in. I guess that's been dealt with now, or certain tricks used. I remember when I played AC3 in your place you were close to the TV and said that it moved the screen just a couple of pixels to help avoid it, or maybe that was when trying 3D.

I guess I should look at plasma TVs too. 51 would be too big for my space.

The best for lag I had found was a Sony KDL42W653 on hdtvtest.co.uk which measured at 6ms or 15ms depending or which test was done.

Cheers.
    Surely you can't be serious!

Will suck dick for Rep Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blinky82 PSN ID: SteMarsh82 Steam ID: Blinky82

I brought a Samsung 5300 series LED Smart TV the other month. Its currently sat in the box at my mums until we get into the new house but I had it set up for a while when it arrived and its pretty sweet.

I opted for the 46 inch model as I don't think I'd get anything bigger in the TV space at the new place.

+ Reply to Thread