+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60

Thread: Music For the Masses

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

New Barenaked Ladies klaxon.

They have a new album coming out in a month, and the songs are... mixed. I guess.

They're making a big deal about how quickly they managed to make a new album without any self-doubt or second-guessing, but to be honest, of the three songs they've put out so far, two of them sound like really rough demos that nobody bothered finishing.

The lead single Say What You Want feels like a filler track that someone forgot to produce. Every time I listen to this song I get distracted by how much noise there is, zone out, then only remember I'm listening to a BNL track when it finishes.

Then Matter of Time has a really lovely melody and tune to it, but the vocals sound like a placeholder they put there then randomly decided they didn't have enough time to go back and re-record something that didn't sound flatter than Steve's post-BNL Career.

Easily the best one is the one they've actually put effort into (although the production is still massively off at points).

Tl;DL - was excited for the new album (especially as Grinning Streak was pretty amazing, minus Best Damn Friend) but the new stuff minus the title track feel like rejected demos somebody accidentally put in the final product. Least excited I've ever been for a BNL album :/
    Last edited by Jokesound; 05-05-2015 at 16:45.

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Let's be honest, dood, if you're talking about Grinning Streak being 'pretty amazing', you must be talking about it in terms of radio-friendly happy happy joy joy singalong pop-pomp. If you're talking about it in terms of musicianship, depth, lyricism, charisma, longevity and actual display of ability then it's by far their worst album. So much so that it doesn't even come close in terms of all-of-the-aboveness to whatever their worst album was prior to its release.

I said after that last gig we went to that I probably wouldn't be going to another BNL gig, but the level of disconnection that I've since had with the current line-up and their previous effort (I always hated people who used 'effort' when describing someone's creative output, but it's justified here) is now so great that I likely won't even listen to any of their new tracks.

All In Good Time wasn't a BNL album. I said as much at the time. It was a collection of the most radio-friendly songs from hypothetical solo albums by each of the individual members of that line-up. It was still a good album, for the most part, but it wasn't a BNL album. Grinning Streak wasn't even that... it was like an experimental effort to test the water. It was to BNL what "Music From The Elder" was to KISS.

I fear that this new BNL album will be akin to everything that KISS released since they put the make-up back on.
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    I believe Nietzsche put it best when he said 'YER MAW'

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

In terms of complexity etc, it was severely lacking, totally agree there. But, in terms of songs I could listen to and enjoy, there's only two songs I don't love on the whole album, and of those, Best Damn Friend is the only one I'll actively skip after the opening line. It's just a nice optimism album that I rely on to cheer me up without much thought.

I think the biggest problem is - and I hate to say this considering I've complained about people who say this way too often - there's a definitive lack of balance since Steve left. All In Good Time felt like they were going to use that to redress the balance in the band and have a greater selection of Jim and Kevin songs, which I especially was looking forward to because some of Kevin's solo stuff post Steve leaving BNL has been really quite enjoyable. But, Grinning Streak was all Ed songs, minus Daydreamin' (which I know you don't like but I kind of love and I'm not sure why) and the bonus track Who Knew?. In Silverball, all the songs are Ed songs minus the final track, which is a Kevin song about his recent struggles with cancer.

Old BNL worked best when you either had songs that Steve and Ed shared, or a track order that perfectly mixed Steve's melancholy versus Ed's need to wryly insert dad jokes into his lyrics. With an opportunity to bring someone else to the forefront, Jim and Kevin's contributions have actually been cut back, and it's basically the Ed show with nothing to balance or counter it. They're not even doing songs where the singers are going back and forth with each other, everyone else is just doing harmonies if they're not the lead singer on the track. He can't do the sad songs anywhere near as well as Steve, and his normal schtick is starting to run a bit thin because there's too much of it without anything counteracting it. Plus, before we'd only have heard the best of Ed's ideas, and now it's all of his ideas and other people's songs are getting cut first.

I don't think Steve should go back because he clearly doesn't want to do it and they don't want him to make a return, but they've definitely lost a balance they can't get back with the way they're currently going about things.
    Last edited by Jokesound; 06-05-2015 at 14:22.

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

I said as much at the time - BNL as it was, and could ever be, died when Steve exited. It'll never be the same again... but unlike when Mangini took over the drums in Dream Theater where "never be the same again" meant they'd actually be a BAND once again and not just a vehicle for Portnoy's self-obsessed attitude, the "never the same again" aspect of BNL is 100% negative. Sadly.

And yeah, the others need to come forward more. All In Good Time will likely be the last decent BNL album unless something changes.
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    I believe Nietzsche put it best when he said 'YER MAW'

Gamer IDs

I'm still no fan of Born on a Pirate Ship so that'll still be my least favourite album, but Are Men has really grown on me since Grinning Streak came out.

Elsewhere, Nintendo are uploading clips of the composers making the Mario Kart 8 soundtracks, and it's nothing short of glorious. Especially these ones from the crossover circuits.

Writer of Things Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: spad360 Steam ID: the_spad

This is great, not least because of the video.

omnes relinquite spes o vos intrantes

Gamer IDs

Massively rediscovered Oceansize over the last couple months. Would absolutely recommend them to anyone who hasn't listened and need something semi-relaxing to work to.

+ Reply to Thread