+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Films...talk about them or don't, we don't care...

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

I'm sure it was a very poorly executed Don Vito impression... either that or the electrified cushion started working again

Fallen Angel Sonic Alpha is on a distinguished road Sonic Alpha's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sonic Alpha PSN ID: SonicAlpha Steam ID: sonicalpha

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Ah yes, that was in fact the most recent film, I'd forgotten about Sherlock Holmes. Ignore the fact is is anything to do with Holmes except in name and it was rather enjoyable. Actually liked Jude Law's portrayal of Watson.
    See that was my problem, I kept expecting Sherlock Holmes. I guess if I forgot that was what it was supposed to be, it would have been a bit better... like 0.5%.

The Virgin Destroyer Van-Fu San will become famous soon enough Van-Fu San's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vice Destroyer PSN ID: ViceDestroyer Steam ID: ViceDestroyer Raptr ID: Verflucht

I am currently watching Planet of the Apes (2001). The original was bad enough, but the remake is even worse. Poo.

I'm a great hater of bad Holmes portrayals and even despise the largely loved Hardy ones in which he looks uncannily like Dracula. I enjoyed Hound of the Baskervilles with Richard Roxburgh and Ian Hart a few years back. I hate the whole myth of the bendy pipe and deerstalker and portrayals of Watson as thick and was relieved that at least they didn't do that here. There was naturally stuff that grated with this one and I had to grit my teeth, but from the off I had made up my mind to put it all aside but for the name and enjoy it and while it belied the trailer (what film doesn't these days) I still thought it was enjoyable enough, though I can't really remember plot specifics.

On another note, saw The Escapist last night. It is a film made with the help of UK Lottery funding and fucking hell it was good; I've not been so impressed with a film in a long time. Small, grimy, character driven, and superbly acted. Beautifully done, dovetailing neatly back in on itself and intelligently presented on many levels. So subtle comprated to most US speak and spell plot/story moments - I highly recommend this.

A corner of this foreign field that is for ever England

procrasturbator pix3lboy is on a distinguished road pix3lboy's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pix3lboy PSN ID: Pix3lboy01 Steam ID: Pix3lboy Raptr ID: pix3lboy

I'm watching Con Air. It's been ages since I last saw it

Quote Originally Posted by Van-Fu San View Post
    I am currently watching Planet of the Apes (2001). The original was bad enough, but the remake is even worse. Poo.

i'll give you £10 if you can explain the end

Isn't it as simple as him intending to transfer back to his dimension but he actually ends up in another dimension/alternate reality?

Terrible film though. I mean, damn it. I like but two things: the ending, and Estella Warren.

Anyone seen Let The Right One In? I can see why it is spoken of so highly by critics.

The Virgin Destroyer Van-Fu San will become famous soon enough Van-Fu San's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vice Destroyer PSN ID: ViceDestroyer Steam ID: ViceDestroyer Raptr ID: Verflucht

@Justbiglee

I don't know how I missed this question before, but here is my take on how I think that the ending works. Most importantly is to remember that from the time that the whole team was in space, they had gone to the point of no return and were never going to see an earth, with homo sapiens as the dominant force. The way I see it, they jumped into an alternate reality as soon as they left earth. The important thing to remember is that General Thade was locked in that room and we never saw what happened to him. My thinking is that he escaped, killed the humans and essentially became a revered leader and that is why he had that Abraham Lincoln-like statue. And because Mark Wahlberg had already jumped into a different dimension at the beginning of the film, he just jumped forward in time in that dodgy timeline, where Apes had progressed to a more advanced society.

And that is the ending. He was screwed as soon as the film begun. It was inevitable.

Anyways, I am now watching Mulan. Awesome film

And I watched Frost/Nixon at the weekend. A stone-cold classic. David Frost has balls the size of the moon.

Banned The Preacher will become famous soon enough The Preacher's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Erudite Knight Steam ID: erudite_knight

I'd been avoiding this topic, for various reasons, but that last statement of Vic's is one I can get behind wholeheartedly. Frost/Nixon took some critical panning in the theatre, but it was one of my favourite films of last year. In terms of historical accuracy it takes a lot of license, but for drama, and just sheer acting chops, it's up there with the best of them. Frank Langella made me feel sorry for Richard Nixon. Any actor who can do that deserves an Oscar.

Vic, if you liked the film, you should look up the actual interviews. They're available on DVD, and are incredibly entertaining if you like politics, or watching two men beating the crap out of each other with just language, timing, and facial expression.

+ Reply to Thread