+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Com returns

Never at his post. Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rynstex PSN ID: Rynstex Steam ID: Rynstex

Default X-Com returns

Being developed by studio behind Bioshock 2 apparently. Never played it but is always one of those titles that'll bring many to retrospective tears.
    [Good Job Boots]

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: peacesquid

I heard about this. Then I heard it's going to be an FPS!

Ohhhh...nice!

Edit: FPS? Fuck off...can't they change the bloody record for consoles?
    A corner of this foreign field that is for ever England

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

On EurLOLgamer;

"2K Marin, the studio behind BioShock 2, is setting its sights on classic series X-COM.

They're keeping the capitalisation but dropping the hyphen for the new instalment, which is thus titled XCOM. According to 2K it "combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distills it with a tense and unique first-person shooter experience".

As confirmed by extensive research on wikipedia, the first X-COM game was released in 1993 and was all about strategy. Two sequels followed, along with a fourth game which placed more of an emphasis on action.

2K's offering will put in in the role of an FBI agent who must identify and eliminate a growing alien threat. You'll be expected to overcome tough odds by taking strategic risks and enjoying "heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity - and frailty - against a foe beyond comprehension". The game's first-person perspective is designed to increase the level of tension and fear.

"With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise," said 2K president Christoph Hartmann.

"Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience first-hand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride."

XCOM is in development for PC and Xbox 360. There's no word on a release date yet."

Might not be quite as much S in the FPS then...

still, first person... bleurrh.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Ohhhh...nice!

Edit: FPS? Fuck off...can't they change the bloody record for consoles?
    if you're really lucky they'll add a horde mode.

Mirror's Edge was a unique take on the FPS with less of the S...somehow I don't see anything unique laying in the future for this one...perhaps I am being overly cynical, but I doubt it.
    A corner of this foreign field that is for ever England

The Skoda of GamingLives ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ZeroMark172 Steam ID: ZeroMark

Turn based FPS here we come....
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    - Yer maw

Never at his post. Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rynstex PSN ID: Rynstex Steam ID: Rynstex

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroMark View Post
    Turn based FPS here we come....
    Isn't that more or less Fallout 3, sort of, maybe?
    [Good Job Boots]

Banned The Preacher will become famous soon enough The Preacher's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Erudite Knight Steam ID: erudite_knight

Do not fucking want. The first game was a classic, the second worked because it was just the first one under water, the third game tried to be an RTS and failed, Interceptor moved further away from strategy by adding a space flight sim to the base and personnel management (though it was redeemed by being hilariously cheesy fun), and then they dropped strategy entirely for Enforcer... which was total shite.

I'm going to need a hell of a lot of impressing on this one, much as I admired Bioshock, because X-COM is a big deal to me. I foresee rants on the scale of my ire over that Star Trek film reboot. The fact that they're totally ignoring the strategy roots of the franchise, despite the only other game to do that being completely panned by just about everyone, and can't even get the frigging name right (X-COM, not XCOM. Is a hyphen that much of an imposition that you need to rebrand?) does not bode very well.

+ Reply to Thread