+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The impending 2014 thread of exercise

Zero's hero Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptToffer Steam ID: chrisdugarry

Default The impending 2014 thread of exercise

This year has been good for me exercise wise. The weight has fluctuated slightly, but overall I'm lighter and in better shape. That is a win in my books.

Next year I've agreed to climb Three Peaks (Snowdon Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike) in under 24 hours.

I will be training for this anyway but I'm looking for a sport to get involved in to aid that. I've tried football but it is a blend of decent players who thrash everyone week in week out and cunts who are out for a fight.

A few options I've considered: Squash, Racketball, Handball and Fencing. All are competitive and all will get a sweat on.

I'm looking for any (serious) recommendations or suggestions as to what else I could do.

Thoughts/suggestions?

The Huggy One Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bearhugger70 PSN ID: bearhugger70 Steam ID: bear_1970_

The Three Peaks Challenge is a proper cunt for those doing it! Best of luck there mate!

I've no suggestions really fitness wise other than cardio vascular that shit up to the max and find something that will build your stamina as much as possible.

Plus, get some reasonable hill walking in as that shit is massively different than generally running around on roads and stuff no matter the inclines! Rough ground is a massive bitch to walk over at pace for any distance and all 3 peaks are immense compared to anything further south than Derbyshire

Will suck dick for Rep Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste's Avatar

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SteMarsh82 Steam ID: Blinky82

Some sort of martial arts maybe? I enjoyed kickboxing when I did that and Richie loves that shit. It might also stop you getting bummed by the bigger boys too.

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

I'd be up for Tennis if you wanna travel bloody miles either way for us to do it.

The one with the words mcdoodle42 will become famous soon enough mcdoodle42's Avatar
    The deep dark recesses of my mind. Also, Nottingham.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mcdoodle42 PSN ID: mcdoodle42 Steam ID: mcdoodle42

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    A few options I've considered: Squash, Racketball, Handball and Fencing. All are competitive and all will get a sweat on.

Thoughts/suggestions?
    Squash is epic for fitness. fast paced, lots of running, good fun. Can get violent of course - I know someone who broke a racket over their opponent

I didn't find fencing all that difficult physically. I wasn't tired at the end of a 4 hour session, and I'm not the fittest person around.
    Show me your moves!

Zero's hero Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Bear1970 View Post
    Plus, get some reasonable hill walking in as that shit is massively different than generally running around on roads and stuff no matter the inclines! Rough ground is a massive bitch to walk over at pace for any distance and all 3 peaks are immense compared to anything further south than Derbyshire
    Yeah, I plan to do plenty of prep walking Pete. I know it won't be the same down this neck of the woods but it will be a start and better than just using a Treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Some sort of martial arts maybe? I enjoyed kickboxing when I did that and Richie loves that shit. It might also stop you getting bummed by the bigger boys too.
    Thought about something likes this, but ideally I need to have my glasses on. So that would mean either investing in sports goggles OR contacts. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokesound View Post
    I'd be up for Tennis if you wanna travel bloody miles either way for us to do it.
    The distance would stop me I'm afraid mate. That and I find Tennis pretty dull to play (Although I love to watch it!)

Quote Originally Posted by mcdoodle42 View Post
    Squash is epic for fitness. fast paced, lots of running, good fun. Can get violent of course - I know someone who broke a racket over their opponent

I didn't find fencing all that difficult physically. I wasn't tired at the end of a 4 hour session, and I'm not the fittest person around.
    Cheers dude, I may miss Fencing and aim for Squash then. Need to find some classes/clubs somewhere local.

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    The distance would stop me I'm afraid mate. That and I find Tennis pretty dull to play (Although I love to watch it!)
    See, I'm the complete opposite, I love playing it to bits, but I can't watch even five minutes before ending up in a coma.

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: peacesquid

Put on five pounds over Xmas which isn't huge but I'm feeling it.

Back on track today though and will sneak out of work at 11 to do a sneaky muay thai sesh. Still rehabbing my injury. It well sucks but I'm not going to let it stop me. Am using a foam roller on it. Pure agony.

Toff, I wear glasses at muay thai and just take them off when I need to. Used to wear lenses for kung fu back in the day but lenses can go fuck themselves. If you were looking to do a martial art, I'd recommend my shit (muay thai) if you want stand up fighting or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for the ground. Either will make you bad ass.

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: peacesquid

Snuck out of work at 11 for an early lunch and headed to the gym. Bag work, cardio, kettlebells. Neat-oh. Warmed up my injury enough to be able to safely do the five flights of stairs to my office.

Salad after.

I already feel great.

Gamer IDs

I'm basically seeing out the year with a big meal at my parents tomorrow and then after New Years day dinner, I'm back on the exercise proper, much like I was before all the engagement ending, house moving fuckery.

+ Reply to Thread