+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Books and shit

Will suck dick for Rep Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste's Avatar

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SteMarsh82 Steam ID: Blinky82

Default Books and shit

I'm sure there is an old thread about books somewhere but I can't be arsed to go digging. I got a new Kindle for Christmas and so have been reading practically non stop since then. Not that I didn't read a lot before.

Anyway, I thought this could be a thread where we could inform each other of any good books that anyone is reading.

I've just finished reading a couple of books co written by Jay Bonansinga and Robert Kirkham (the walking dead guy). The first one was called The Rise of the Governor and how Phillip Blake came to be the Governor of Woodbury. Very enjoyable.

The second was called The Road to Woodbury which is set a little bit later and was about some people trying to survive and they happen about Woodbury whilst being chased by Zombies. They end up staying there and its about what happens there. Again , very good.

I'm now reading His Majesty Dragon by Naomi Novik. Its book 1 in a series of books set during the Napoleonic wars with France, only in this world Dragons exist. Got to say that this is great so far. Can hardly put it down.

Anybody else got anything good they're reading or have read recently? Or some recommendations maybe?

Senior Member ZeroMark is a name known to all ZeroMark is a name known to all ZeroMark is a name known to all ZeroMark is a name known to all ZeroMark is a name known to all ZeroMark is a name known to all ZeroMark's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ZeroMark172 Steam ID: ZeroMark

I was recently told about the Culture books, by Iain Banks. Sci-fi, incredibly detailed universe all about an incredibly advanced civillisation and what they get up to.

So far I've read, Surface Detail, The Hydrogen Sonata, Consider Phlebas, Excession and The State of the Art. All brilliant and well worth a read.
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    - Yer maw

The one with the words mcdoodle42 will become famous soon enough mcdoodle42's Avatar
    The deep dark recesses of my mind. Also, Nottingham.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mcdoodle42 PSN ID: mcdoodle42 Steam ID: mcdoodle42

Oh ho ho. What do you like to read Mr Ste? I eagerly await your response, but until then here are some ideas off the top of my head.

Sci-Fi

There's plenty of stuff on my Kindle that is brilliant, but standouts include:
    • Enders Game (followed by the others in the series) - Orson Scott Card
    • Like Zero says, the Iain M Banks books are pretty sweet. Can't think of any off the top of my head though
    • Peter F Hamiltons Void Trilogy is amazing, but they're all pretty long. Worth reading though, fascinating universe.
    • I don't want to assume anything, so I'll recommend Frank Herberts Dune. You could keep reading the series after that I suppose, but I only like the first one.
    • Oh, and Douglas Adams.
    • Anne McCaffrey is worth a read.

Fantasy (this is my favourite - I'll try and keep it relatively small)
    • My favourite series of all time - The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    • The Mistborn Books by Brandon Sanderson - this one is really fascinating, a clever magic system and good characters.
    • You could get into the Game of Thrones craze if you've got the time. George RR Martin and all that.
    • Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy is clever and a good read.
    • The Discworld Books by Terry Pratchett are pretty great.
    • Peter V Brett's Painted Man books are amazing, really cool idea and an awesome world.
    • Weis and Hickman do good books too - check out the Deathgate novels and the Dragonlance Chronicles.
    • L.E Modessit writes nicely, and the progression of her worlds are interesting

I tried okay. Here are some other bits worth reading:
    • The girl with a dragon tattoo etc... That's by Stieg Larrson
    • Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
    • Bones books by Cathy Reichs
    • Anything by Craig Shaw Gardener
    • Lee Child

Okay, that's me. Kinda. Feel free to ignore any and all suggestions
    Show me your moves!

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

My current reading list consists of:
    Rapture (a book set before the first Bioshock)
    Jam (second book by Yahtzee 'Zero Punctuation' Croshaw about an apocalypse caused by man-eating jam)
    The Last Wish (Andrezej Sapojowski; book the Witcher games are based on)
    Zelda: Majora's Mask.
    Ace Attorney - The Official Casebook Vol 1.
    Dirk Gently Omnibus
    Alan Wake
    Work! Consume! Die!
    And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide book Eoin Colfer wrote)
    Is The Internet Changing the Way You Think?

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Just DON'T read Robert Rankin. I'm a fan of the surreal, and Lorna gave me The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse and The Dance of the Voodoo Handbag. Both were utter shit. Surrealism for the sake of surrealism.

Ed... your list would suggest that you pretty much live and die for gaming. I'm not sure whether to praise your nerdism or pity it
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    I believe Nietzsche put it best when he said 'YER MAW'

Zero's hero Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer is a jewel in the rough Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptToffer Steam ID: chrisdugarry

I quite like my crime novels. Anything by Karen Slaughter is good; especially the Will Trent series.

If you want something a little more well written and with deeper meaning then I recommend Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne series.

With both authors make sure you read the books chronologically else it will spoil it for you!

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzR View Post
    Ed... your list would suggest that you pretty much live and die for gaming. I'm not sure whether to praise your nerdism or pity it
    I prefer the label "Victim of Pop-Culture"

The Huggy One Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bearhugger70 PSN ID: bearhugger70 Steam ID: bear_1970_

Any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher books are worth a read but if you've seen the film before reading any of them try and forget Tom Cruise completely

If you like fantasy then James Barclay's Raven series is brilliant and David Gemmell's books are all good. He died a couple of years ago and his wife finished off the last of his books from his extensive notes.
    Kenneth C Flint did a load of books based on Irish legends too that are a good read.

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books are all excellently written and well translated from Norwegian

Patricia Cornwell is good as is Tess Gerritsen.

Bernard Cornwell did a good Trail series based on an English Archer and another awesome series based on a character called Uhtred

Andy McDermott and James Rollins are good too... David Gibbins... Scott Mariani's Ben Hope series is excellent too.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

The one with the words mcdoodle42 will become famous soon enough mcdoodle42's Avatar
    The deep dark recesses of my mind. Also, Nottingham.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mcdoodle42 PSN ID: mcdoodle42 Steam ID: mcdoodle42

Quote Originally Posted by Bear1970 View Post
    If you like fantasy then James Barclay's Raven series is brilliant and David Gemmell's books are all good. He died a couple of years ago and his wife finished off the last of his books from his extensive notes.
    Ooh forgot about Barclay! Haven't read one of his in ages. Gemmel is amazing, especially the Sparhawk books
    Show me your moves!

The Huggy One Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bearhugger70 PSN ID: bearhugger70 Steam ID: bear_1970_

Sparhawk? I don't know those

The Raven chronicles are brilliant though. A great bunch of characters that really connect with the reader

+ Reply to Thread