+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Penny-Arcade Kickstarter

Vittoria Agli Assassini PhantoM is on a distinguished road PhantoM's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PhantoM XI PSN ID: PhantoM- Steam ID: Asphyx1ateD

Quote Originally Posted by Spad View Post
    Browsing the internet on a client site, which is usually running something horrible like IE7, makes me realise just how god-awful the internet is in terms of adverts, pop-ups, tracking cookies & 3rd party Javascript garbage when you're not running Adblock/Noscript/Ghostery.
    Word, I love NoScript, too. Not familiar with Ghostery, though. What's that about? Could google it but I feel you seem like you'd be able to give me a better answer.

Steam: Asphyx1ateD | PSN: PhantoM- | XBL: PhantoM XI

Waiting for: Watch Dogs, The Division
    Currently playing: Day Z Standalone / PS4: FIFA 14 & Battlefield 4
    Latest Platinum & 1000G: Metal Gear Solid 4 / FIFA 13

Visit my YouTube!

Writer of Things Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad is just really nice Spad's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: spad360 Steam ID: the_spad

Quote Originally Posted by PhantoM View Post
    Word, I love NoScript, too. Not familiar with Ghostery, though. What's that about? Could google it but I feel you seem like you'd be able to give me a better answer.
    Ghostery is like NoScript for tracking cookies; it allows you to see and block the numerous 3rd parties that track you on just about every site you visit. For example, GamingLives uses Google Analytics, which uses a tracking cookie to identify you, most sites have Twitter & Facebook integration that tracks you, every Advertising provider tracks you, some CDNs track you. I've seen sites with 10+ different 3rd parties all with their own tracking cookies.

io9.com (and other sites in that network), for example:

Some, they call me...Stu etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Etherfiend PSN ID: Etherfiend

I hate this idea. Mind you I said on some other KickStarter thread ages ago on here that after Tim Shafer's success, every well-known dev/publisher, etc would start trying it out so why not media too.

Despite the morality behind it, this is actually quite clever/shrewd because:
    a) people always moan about ads (despite many anti-ad plugins, etc)
    b) a prosimed potential amount of new content is vague enough to prick up the ears of interested parties but still not guarantee actually producing anything
    c) A yearly kickstarter is effectively no different than paying for an 'ad free' subscription - except everyone, not just the people that coughed up, benefits. Additionally a 'fanboi' may view $100 as a suitable amount to pay for no ads, whereas another may only pledge $5 a year. In effect they are leaving the subscription value up to the users so rather than saying "aha, we have a paywall, bitches! $20 a year to access PA" they've effectively chosen a total figure (which undoubtedly includes some profit and covers other expenses as well) and are using that to get the nerds to cough up whatever they feel is a 'right' contribution. PA then get a feel for what a subscription to the site might be worth, how many would be willing to do it (as they've already said this is a yearly thing) and if their 'brand' is popular enough to go ad-free online. It's a win-win, if they don't get the money they keep the ads and if they get the cash then they make money and potentially have a subscription/paywall model to mull over for the future.

Clever, if a little evil.

+ Reply to Thread