+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Day 8: Two World Squared

Some, they call me...Stu etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Etherfiend PSN ID: Etherfiend

Almost any of the fantasy RPGs I've played such as Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, etc because although each has their own lore, other than buildings/inhabitants they are basically the same components cobbled together. A land where you get to climb snowy mountains, run along beaches, soak up the grasslands, get lost in forests or buy shit in a town. All villages are a handful of buildings, most of which you can't enter, and there are always plenty of underground things too. Amalur did go one step further than Azeroth in terms of fantasy stuff like glowing plants, but other than that they are basically yet another selection of Earth's basic terrain types.

I'd agree with Jo and say Pandora stands out because it hints at the corporation wars going on in the background, technology levels and other planets but never gives too much away, even if Pandora itself was a little samey in terms of landscape and lacked population.

Ultimately though, Wing Commander would be the universe I'd jump to in a second. Life on the TCS Tiger's Claw would never be dull, or perhaps, even more excitingly, a tour of duty on The Midway to take on the latest threat to the galaxy after de-clawing the Kilrathi. That or the Warhammer 40k universe...anything with space or the unknown!!

The Skoda of GamingLives ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ZeroMark172 Steam ID: ZeroMark

See I would quite like to live in the 40k universe, but then the idea of the 40k universe is that to be a person living at that time is meaningless, you are one in trillions. There's a very good chance you are going to die (probably in a very terrible and violent way) and it's going to mean nothing, because it's a universe where whole planets are wiped out regularly (probably by other humans in the name of the greater purity of humanity).

To be a regular Joe in that universe would suck, then would you want to be a Space Marine, be taken from your family, surgically changed to be a total badass, but know that you will do nothing but fight and again probably die a terrible death.

Anyways 40k, universe I love to visit, but would fucking hate to live there.
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    - Yer maw

Zero's hero Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptToffer Steam ID: chrisdugarry

I suppose I count it as a 'universe' : Half Life. Love the Black Mesa incident, the attempted cover up and then the trip to the Xen world, which finally saw the Combine arrive and enslave Earth. So much story to it. Loved every moment of that series.

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: peacesquid

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain had a great gameworld and occasionally popped back in time so you could see it being built. I rather liked that.

For space universes, I'd play a lot more space shit if it was like Freelancer.

Ragol, the planet from Phantasy Star Online. I spent so much time there, both on the original Dreamcast version, and then again on the original Xbox.
    I love the Forest from the first episode, and Gal De Val Beach from the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Blucey View Post
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain had a great gameworld and occasionally popped back in time so you could see it being built. I rather liked that.
    Got a map of Nosgoth on my wall. It came with my pc version of the game. When Soul Reaver was released, I tried comparing the maps. They fucked up. Nothing on the SR2 map is where it should be on the BO map.
    Last edited by The Author; 10-07-2012 at 15:16.

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

Minecraft, Sure it has it's issues but so does any other game world/universe however in the minecraft world I could build a tower surrounded by lava and hide away from the scary creepers during the night. During the day I could hunt cows, pigs or chickens for food and if I'm feeling adventurous I could go mining for some Diamonds. I could even add some new ores and technology to the world and make it more enjoyable yay.

Not sure about worse as any gaming universe I know off I like.

I would love to be in a Forza universe, just driving all those sports cars.... Well I can that in real life if I really wanted to o.O

Massive forehead The Sonic Mole will become famous soon enough The Sonic Mole's Avatar
    Leeds (but I'm originally from Leighton Buzzard)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Sonic Mole Steam ID: thesonicmole Raptr ID: TheSonicMole

Quote Originally Posted by Spad View Post
    I do love the Mass Effect universe just because of the amount of time and effort put into making it feel real, the depth of some of the codex entries are a little scary. Apart from the whole galactic armageddon thing, it seems like it could be a cool place to live too.

Unfortunately, most game worlds are pretty fucked up, if they're not post-apocalyptic dystopias then they're about to be wiped out by an all-powerful demonic presence or simply invaded by aliens, so you don't get a lot that would actually be good to live in.
    I have to agree with this. The Mass Effect Universe is fantastic. One of BioWare's main strengths is creating organic universes with deep lore.

"By the tits of my ancestors!"

+ Reply to Thread