+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Space Quest creators are making a new game

Quote Originally Posted by etherfiend View Post
    Could be interesting. I wonder how much longer this whole 'kickstarter' thing will last before everyone gets fed up of the constant begging on social media for these things? More to the point, as higher profile people start to steal the limelight for their projects (Tim Schaefer, etc) will it be long before the publishers move in to crowd-fund risky projects? Once more I can see the indie guys getting a fight on their hands to get any exposure in yet another area of the games industry.
    In regards to being sick of Kickstarter... to me, it gives these people to break away from what "The Corporation" deems the community wants - and allows them to make their own game (or book, or whatever, someone uses Kickstarter for). I think that's an amazing chance at - even every day people, like you and I, relying on the kindness of the people on the internet (a rare thing, indeed!) to fund our dreams or ideas, to make them a reality. That's pretty kick ass.

As for the SpaceVenture game specifically - the way I see it - at the minimum to get a copy of the game, it's 15 bucks. For a digital download. 15 bucks. For a game. That's an amazing price. No matter how you slice it. (You probably think, "Yeah, but 15 bucks for a game? How good could it be?" Well aside from it being Crowe and Murphy, which makes me think we're in good hands - but you can find awesome games for 15 bucks! A bit of side track, but I recently got LEGEND OF GRIMROCK for a mere 11 bucks and some change - and it's a great nod to the old school RPG, walk through the dungeon kind of game!)

I have already donated my 100 bucks to this specific one (and also backed the ones for Leisure Suit Larry and Jane Jensen)! I am hoping these two guys get the shot they deserve to entertain us! Remind us old folks, who those great games were like - and perhaps introduce new, younger people to that world of adventure games!

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

Yeah, I guess that's cool, but does it also give you beta access to the game, information on how the game is being made bit by bit and a professionally made documentary series?

My feelings on Kickstarter are mixed, I've only funded the Double Fine thing and a band who needed funding to complete their album, and that's unlikely to change in the near future. In the nicest way possible, most projects that are asking for kickstarter backing are done by people who don't have a reputation for delivering a finished product. That's really harsh, and I know it's going to put me in a bad stead with others, but with Double Fine essentially own 15 years of my gaming life, and the music thing is done by people who've made some of my all time favourite songs, are giving me a signed CD and two exclusive gigs as a reward (the gigs are for every backer I think), and I know they'll get it done.
    I don't have much money, what with being a poor ex-student, I can't afford to take risks, and so any games I do want to buy or fund are going to have to grab me by the balls and never let go, come from people with established backgrounds and who I've had experience playing their games (aka Double Fine), and not come with at least two people trying to give me a hard sell.

Sorry guys, but that's where I stand, and that's why I'm out.

Some, they call me...Stu etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Etherfiend PSN ID: Etherfiend

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    In regards to being sick of Kickstarter... to me, it gives these people to break away from what "The Corporation" deems the community wants - and allows them to make their own game (or book, or whatever, someone uses Kickstarter for). I think that's an amazing chance at - even every day people, like you and I, relying on the kindness of the people on the internet (a rare thing, indeed!) to fund our dreams or ideas, to make them a reality. That's pretty kick ass.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic thing. You are right, for some projects such as that XCOM remake one (started pre-Firaxis announcing their remake) then I think it is worth throwing in money if you support it. But as Kickstarter gains in popularity then people will tire of seeing 'kickstarter' tweets (I already am - no less than 5 seperate projects were heavily tweeted about the other day) and it'll be harder to pick the unique ideas from the mass-spammed dross coming out of the PR machines.

Ultimately anything amazing such as crowd-funding is going to get abused. Be it unfinished projects as per Ed's post, or just bullying out competition and buying ad-space/sponsoring etc by the publishers to push out the indy crowd remains to be seen. My point wasn't that I don't like kickstarter, more that I worry about what its future holds.

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    it gives these people to break away from what "The Corporation" deems the community wants - and allows them to make their own game (or book, or whatever, someone uses Kickstarter for).
    A thousand times yes! That's what I love about it too. We've supported Wasteland 2, Xenonauts, Nekro, Jane Jensen, Ravaged and are looking at others just now. Publishers are great (kinda) when they're doing their job properly, but mostly they just dictate according to what their accountants want, and that's not good for the industry.
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jokesound View Post
    most projects that are asking for kickstarter backing are done by people who don't have a reputation for delivering a finished product
    You'd need to cite examples on that before I can agree or not. Do you mean don't have a reputation for delivering a finished product in the sense that they'd started and just never seen it through to fruition, or that they haven't yet got as far as publishing? As someone who has been in business for more than sixteen years, the first usually comes because of outside factors and they shouldn't be judged on that if that's the case, and the latter is usually because nobody has given them a chance.
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzR View Post
    A thousand times yes! That's what I love about it too. We've supported Wasteland 2, Xenonauts, Nekro, Jane Jensen, Ravaged and are looking at others just now. Publishers are great (kinda) when they're doing their job properly, but mostly they just dictate according to what their accountants want, and that's not good for the industry.
    I agree completely, which is why I have no problem backing up specific Kickstarters (such as LSL, Jane Jensen, and now SpaceVenture). I know some friends who backed up some Steampunk Publishing Book (and got their company and website in the book's special thanks). I mean, that's some great stuff. And it's not like you're just funding them with no return. I am not giving them $100 and not getting anything back. I am getting a game, book, and whatever other cool things they're offering. (And naturally the more you give, the more you get back)!

Quote Originally Posted by etherfiend View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic thing. You are right, for some projects such as that XCOM remake one (started pre-Firaxis announcing their remake) then I think it is worth throwing in money if you support it. But as Kickstarter gains in popularity then people will tire of seeing 'kickstarter' tweets (I already am - no less than 5 seperate projects were heavily tweeted about the other day) and it'll be harder to pick the unique ideas from the mass-spammed dross coming out of the PR machines.

Ultimately anything amazing such as crowd-funding is going to get abused. Be it unfinished projects as per Ed's post, or just bullying out competition and buying ad-space/sponsoring etc by the publishers to push out the indy crowd remains to be seen. My point wasn't that I don't like kickstarter, more that I worry about what its future holds.
    Well, the potential for anything to be abused is always there. And of course there will ALWAYS be someone(s) out there who WILL abuse it - because people, in general, are shallow, greedy and conniving people. But by no means, does one need to back up every Kickstarter. Just the ones you'd trust, or are interested in. It's not always going to work out. Nothing ever will. Hades, even forums suffer. You make a new forum, to attract new people for whatever idea - and you will have other forums, who will try to smash out competition (especially corporations who might claim copyright or trademark infringement if you use their images in your banner or whatever), and you get people who come onto forums for the sheer joy of "trolling" and admins have to deal with spambots...

So yeah. No matter what you do, the human race will seek to ruin the goodness of it. The only thing you can do is keep believing and trying to make whatever it is - good for you and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokesound View Post
    Sorry guys, but that's where I stand, and that's why I'm out.
    Hey, everyone has their views - and there is no right and wrong. Like I said, I see Kickstarter not so much as people who don't have a rep for finishing something - but independent people (like myself) who might use Kickstarter to fund publishing a book (so I get to keep all the rights to my work), or to finish an album, or create a game that "Corporate America"'s gaming industry doesn't think "is profitable." That's all I have seen from Kickstarter, though. People, who have common interests as me (on FB or forums) who share the Kickstarter Campaigns they've come across. Some I fund 100 bucks or more (and I am not rich!), some I toss a few bucks to (not even enough to get any real reward; but just because the idea seems cool).

Gamer IDs

It's funny that you say you toss a few bucks to some projects because, maybe it's just my naivety, but I tend to think "pledging $5 really isn't going to make much of an impact" and so I'll almost immediately back down if I know that I can't pledge any more than that. I suppose it could be the difference between a successfully funded project or a failure but, in that respect, we tend to follow any projects we like the look of anyway so if it got to the zero hour and it needed a few dollars thrown at it to put it over the "funded" edge, we'd do it regardless of tier rewards.

Perhaps it would be better to look at small amounts to more projects than decent amounts to fewer projects, I dunno. I suppose I haven't really given it much thought.

I also agree about self-publishing to retain all your rights; I'd do the same!
    Linus Torvalds

I think the smaller donations are kind of just as valuable in some ways -- there's certainly a psychological crowd benefit thing to seeing a project with a larger, or growing, number of backers that subtly encourages more donations. It can also theoretically extend the word-of-mouth and mind-share type stuff.

(or maybe I'm just poor and trying to feel better about it.)

And "hello!" -- First post here

Quote Originally Posted by jfrisby View Post
    I think the smaller donations are kind of just as valuable in some ways -- there's certainly a psychological crowd benefit thing to seeing a project with a larger, or growing, number of backers that subtly encourages more donations. It can also theoretically extend the word-of-mouth and mind-share type stuff.
    Definitely, every little bit counts. And thanks, GamingLives, for contributing as well!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzR View Post
    It's funny that you say you toss a few bucks to some projects because, maybe it's just my naivety, but I tend to think "pledging $5 really isn't going to make much of an impact" and so I'll almost immediately back down if I know that I can't pledge any more than that. I suppose it could be the difference between a successfully funded project or a failure but, in that respect, we tend to follow any projects we like the look of anyway so if it got to the zero hour and it needed a few dollars thrown at it to put it over the "funded" edge, we'd do it regardless of tier rewards.
    The way I see it is - say you tossed in JUST 5 bucks.
    Say 20 people, in the city you live in (which probably populates well over 1,000 people) threw in 5 bucks. That's 100 bucks.

Now take that and say, every big city in every state, 20 people donated 5 bucks each.

You can see how it'd have a rippling effect.

+ Reply to Thread