+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Subscription Gaming - worst thing ever.

How many people here pay for the PS3 subscription?

Zero's hero Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptToffer Steam ID: chrisdugarry

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Is it really?
    Xbox Live: Money is exchanged for access to an online community where a number of games can be played with other like minded people.

Generic Subscription game: Money is exchanged for access to an online community where a particular game or group of games can be played with other like minded people.

All things being equal and not taking into account dickheads on XBL who are just out to grief you they seem pretty similar to me.
    In the Tetris example in it's solidarity it's a huge difference. That's possibly one of the simplest forms of gaming turned into a pointless subscription model.

Compared to Xbox Live which offers SO much more.

Will suck dick for Rep Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blinky82 PSN ID: SteMarsh82 Steam ID: Blinky82

I don't but have considered it. Some decent free games on there sometimes. I wouldn't call that subscription gaming though as online play on the PS3 is still free. PS Plus just offers members free games, discounts on stuff and online cloud storage.

Never at his post. Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rynstex PSN ID: Rynstex Steam ID: Rynstex

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Compared to Xbox Live which offers SO much more.
    • Early demos? Used to get them free with magazines until Live et al took over and monetized it.
    • Multiplayer? Your playing for a P2P network (with exception of a few games that use dedicated).
    • Voice chat? It's mostly skype now which is free anyhow isn't it?
    • Video chat? See voice?
    • Gold only deals, wooo save £2 off a £50 copy of Crackdown 2.

Not sure exactly where exactly this "SO much more" is?
    Last edited by Rynstex; 07-12-2011 at 17:45.
    [Good Job Boots]

The Skoda of GamingLives ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ZeroMark172 Steam ID: ZeroMark

Not sure why we are having this discussion. In the tetris game, do you require the subscription to play?

and even if you do who the fuck cares it's tetris.
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    - Yer maw

Will suck dick for Rep Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste's Avatar

Gamer IDs

The tetris is still free, the subscription lets you level up faster. So really its not a subscription based game at all. More of a freeium type model.

The Skoda of GamingLives ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark is a glorious beacon of light ZeroMark's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ZeroMark172 Steam ID: ZeroMark

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    The tetris is still free, the subscription lets you level up faster. So really its not a subscription based game at all. More of a freeium type model.
    Exactly.

Zero's hero Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptToffer Steam ID: chrisdugarry

Quote Originally Posted by Rynstex View Post
    • Early demos? Used to get them free with magazines until Live et al took over and monetized it.
    • Multiplayer? Your playing for a P2P network (with exception of a few games that use dedicated).
    • Voice chat? It's mostly skype now which is free anyhow isn't it?
    • Video chat? See voice?
    • Gold only deals, wooo save £2 off a £50 copy of Crackdown 2.

Not sure exactly where exactly this "SO much more" is?
    I think we're missing the point I was making. The SO much more is in comparison the Tetris thing. Nothing else. Although as Zero has pointed out it's not a requirement to pay.

I'm aware of all of the above...

This is a bit of an off the wall idea though. Does this mean that in future I might have 47 separate subscriptions set up, one for every game that I play? That's just plain unwieldy, and a big company like EA has plenty of options to consolidate this into something a lot better.

Just for starters how about consolidating the subscription so that it's across multiple EA games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blucey View Post
    Putting a lime filling in a Jaffa Cake doesn't make it "spooky". Unless you're selling it to me in a graveyard. And I'm not in a graveyard you biscuit/cake/not sure selling c***. I'm in Tesco wondering why the f*** all the food has been replaced with masks and Haribo.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jocky View Post
    Just for starters how about consolidating the subscription so that it's across multiple EA games?
    And offer value for money by making it cheaper for consumers? Silly Jocky!

+ Reply to Thread