+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ouch - Codemasters this time

Banned Knikitta will become famous soon enough Knikitta will become famous soon enough Knikitta's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Knikitta PSN ID: Knikitta Steam ID: Knikitta Raptr ID: Knikitta

Default Ouch - Codemasters this time

I passed off an email I got today from Codemasters as either a phishing email or spam, I glanced over it briefly but didn't dare click anything. Instead I left it for Ben to check when he gets home... then I read this...

One of the UK's biggest computer games developers has confirmed the personal details of many of its customers have been stolen, after its systems were hacked.

Codemasters - which makes games for consoles including the Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo Wii - has said customer names and addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and encrypted passwords have been taken.

It follows a number of similar computer hacks, including two against Sony which saw the data of almost 100 million users taken.

Codemasters has now taken its website off line, following the breach last Friday.

The company said it had emailed every customer ever registered on the site in the wake of the data theft but insisted no payment details have been compromised.

Offering its apologies for the security breach, the firm urged users to be "extra cautious of potential scams, via email, phone, or post that ask you for personal or sensitive information".
    "Unfortunately, Codemasters is the latest victim in ongoing targeted attacks against numerous game companies," it told recipients of the letter.

"We assure you that we are doing everything within our legal means to track down the perpetrators and take action to the full extent of the law.

"We apologise for this incident and regret any inconvenience caused. We are contacting all customers who may have been affected directly."

Users of the website were also encouraged to change any passwords "associated with other Codemasters accounts".

Spokesman Rich Eddy said the company still had no idea who targeted the site but said the attack could "quite possibly" affect tens of thousands of people.

Visitors to the website - codemasters.com - were being directed to its Facebook page.
    A new site will be launched later in the year.

Last month, Japanese company Sony revealed it had suffered two massive breaches of security.

The first attack - which saw the theft of data from 77 million users of its PlayStation network - was one of the worst break-ins in internet history.

In the second intrusion, an extra 24.6 million computer game users may have had their personal details stolen.

Source

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: peacesquid

Rat's cocks. I'm sure I signed up to their forum back in the day to moan about their PS2 Sensible Soccer game being gash.

Banned The Preacher will become famous soon enough The Preacher's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Erudite Knight Steam ID: erudite_knight

Fuck, I have a Codemasters account.

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

Yeah I learnt that I'm registered on the site twice using a email address I still receive emails on but haven't used in a long time. Funnily enough My web host got attacked around the same time, maybe moving to the cloud isn't a good think right now

Zero's hero Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer has a spectacular aura about Toffer's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptToffer Steam ID: chrisdugarry

Don't think I have one registered. Disturbing amount of places getting hacked these days

Some, they call me...Stu etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Etherfiend PSN ID: Etherfiend

My LOTRO details may have been compromised according to the email I received, not that I play it any more but it does mean they have all my details - at least the card I had registered with them has since expired.

Gamer IDs

I have no idea what stuff they have from me on their system but did the hackers get hold of credit card details?

Banned Knikitta will become famous soon enough Knikitta will become famous soon enough Knikitta's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Knikitta PSN ID: Knikitta Steam ID: Knikitta Raptr ID: Knikitta

Did you not even read the post?

The company said it had emailed every customer ever registered on the site in the wake of the data theft but insisted no payment details have been compromised.

Gamer IDs

oops missed that bit hehe

Some, they call me...Stu etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend will become famous soon enough etherfiend's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Etherfiend PSN ID: Etherfiend

Epic & Bethesda hit over the weekend too. If its LulzSec then they also hit pr0n dot com as well and published the admin details of another 55 adult sites.

I don't get why they are doing this, I suspect its just to make a name for themselves in the hope some giant corporation will hire them as a 'security expert' but the targets don't add up. Sony...well yeah okay I'll give them that for Geohotz, at least that was semi-valid at a stretch, but then hitting a bunch of games publishers I could understand if the motive was anti-gaming/corp greed but then surely ActiBlizz would have been first on the list?

Then they send a nice message to Nintendo and the NHS warning them of weaknesses, then they resume hacking but going beyond gaming into adult entertainment...that is if all of these are the same group, admittedly I've only kept an eye out on the stuff that has directly affected me. The geek/nerd civil war is on the horizon and the internet is the battleground...

+ Reply to Thread