+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PC help anyone!?

Will suck dick for Rep Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste is a splendid one to behold Ste's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blinky82 PSN ID: SteMarsh82 Steam ID: Blinky82

Maybe. Well the way to go about testing it I think would be to disconnect one or two of your hard drives. If temps return to normal then it is a power problem.

Banned The Preacher will become famous soon enough The Preacher's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Erudite Knight Steam ID: erudite_knight

Take more than one or two harddrives to make a noticeable difference when he's got 7 of the fuckers. He would have noticed problems before now too.

Out of curiosity, how well ventilated is the room? Clutching at straws somewhat I know. If it were a lack of power supply the fans should cut out altogether, or stop and start in fits. Also if the fans were somehow running slow I don't think you'd have noticed the noise of them getting louder, they'd get quieter. The fans on the GPUs being solely affected and not the CPU or the main cooling fan too seems off. And again, I don't think you'd suddenly be noticing this now all of a sudden, unless you changed some of the hardware recently just before the issues arose.

Fucking puzzler. I don't suppose you've looked at Windows' power settings under the control panel? Accidentally put the fans into power saving mode or something.

Maybe it is just on its last legs. I'm out of ideas. Sensible ones anyway.

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Office door is always open, apart from a couple of hours today when I was Skyping, so it's well ventilated and it's in a part of the desk that is away from the wall by about 2ft and isn't enclosed either. Lack of power in any other PC I've had doesn't stop the fans at all, they just run at a much lower rpm... and it's the noise of the CPU fan that's noisy, not the GPUs themselves - they've always been about the same noise level really. I never change hardware either, I stick with what works for me and leave it at that. I think I need to dismantle the whole thing, clean it out with paintbrushes PROPERLY and rebuild it. Then we'll see how it runs. Lorna's also got some thermal paste so if there's any left I'll use that too.

In other news, my 2TB external drive for video editing on the Qosmio arrived yesterday and I unboxed it today. Just need to move the 300GB of video footage from PAX over to it now and get it to hell off my laptop so it can go back to being a gaming rig. I don't mind editing ON the Qosmio as long as the actual files remain OFF the Qosmio but having 300GB of video slapped on it in the space of 3 days is shit.
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

So I dismantled my PC down to the motherboard today and rebuilt it. Cleaned off the processor and heatsink then applied new thermal paste, also went mental with a paintbrush and TWO air canisters cleaning out every fucking tiny area of each GPU, the heatsink and the motherboard's own heatsink. All the fans were dusted down too but they weren't that bad to be honest BUT I got a dustbunny of about 8cm in diameter and 1cm high between both GPUs... and I mean INSIDE the GPUs, not the fans. I had to use the air can's pipe nozzles to keep blowing into the main sealed area and eventually each dustbunny made its way down into the fan area.

So now my motherboard core temp is down to 38 degrees, the CPU is down to around 50-52 degrees and each GPU is anything between 57 degrees and 74 degrees depending on what I'm doing. Also... I can stand in the hallway right at the door to my office and can't hear the PC running.. but it's running. Beforehand, even upstairs in the bedroom, I could hear the PC all the way downstairs (my office is the opposite end of the house). So yeah, it's certainly running cooler and quieter now... but I've yet to really push it to see if it performs any better.

4pm... what a wasted day... and now I need to start on articles and videos.
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Gamer IDs

When I suggested dust, I honestly didn't expect an 8x1cm ball of crap from inside the GPU. Where do you mean? I've had dust and fluff and shit build up in the vanes of my graphics card heatsink below the fan before, but you make it sound like it was in the GPU core. Oh, or was it one of those graphics cards that have those all-sealed plastic shells around them?

Interesting if it was one of those, I've only had the open ones with a standard heatsink and fan over the GPU. You'd think they'd have designed the self-contained ones not to allow dust in.

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

I've only encountered 1 anti Dust graphics card from Asus which is a ATI 5670 not sure how it works but apparently it does actually keep most dust away. Glad you got it sorted it surprises me how the dust can get into a tiny areas and can cause some problems.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post
    When I suggested dust, I honestly didn't expect an 8x1cm ball of crap from inside the GPU. Where do you mean? I've had dust and fluff and shit build up in the vanes of my graphics card heatsink below the fan before, but you make it sound like it was in the GPU core. Oh, or was it one of those graphics cards that have those all-sealed plastic shells around them?

Interesting if it was one of those, I've only had the open ones with a standard heatsink and fan over the GPU. You'd think they'd have designed the self-contained ones not to allow dust in.
    OK, imagine you're holding my video card so that you're looking down at it...

See that bit to the left of the fan? That's where I got it all from. The vents to the far left... I blew the fuck out of them with the dust can and just watched as it forced all the dust down towards the fan and in between the blades. What I was left with was a dust bunny that filled the area. It's still on my floor next to my chair but I can't be arsed taking a photo of it. Machine is still running silent but the GPUs are a steady 74 deg C now when idle and aren't dropping unless it's a cold boot from being left off overnight. I can live with that though.

Should also point out that my left monitor only flickered four times today (rather than 3-4 times a minute) and only when I switched my J and L drives on to search for some files, so it would appear that it IS a power issue right enough. I'll need to get a bigger boat. PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by FC360 View Post
    I've only encountered 1 anti Dust graphics card from Asus which is a ATI 5670 not sure how it works but apparently it does actually keep most dust away. Glad you got it sorted it surprises me how the dust can get into a tiny areas and can cause some problems.
    Yeah, it surprises me too BUT there is very clear and obvious space between the blades of the fan so it stands to reason that dust will inevitably find its way beyond the blades (given that there's an easy 4-5mm between blades) to the outside areas. I'd still rather have a sealed GPU that kicks ass than an open card with the power of a dead gnat's testicle. I'll just need to keep an eye on the build up.
    Linus Torvalds

Gamer IDs

I got a massive dust bunny before, in the vanes of the heatsink. Nothing like as impressive as that fucker you've just extracted though. Maybe half as big, and that was killing my PC. How your one managed I don't know.

Still, sorted out for now. And you'll know where to start looking next time too...

8x1cm. That's a big dust bunny.

+ Reply to Thread