+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Moment of Silence for MyGamerCard

The Virgin Destroyer Van-Fu San will become famous soon enough Van-Fu San's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vice Destroyer PSN ID: ViceDestroyer Steam ID: ViceDestroyer Raptr ID: Verflucht

Quote Originally Posted by justbiglee View Post
    i got in touch with him this morning asking if he'd be willing to do an interview about himself and the life of my gamercard.net after i'd read that.

Just heard back from him.

He said yes :d
    awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Van-Fu San View Post
    awesome.
    Another thing I'd did that was your fault lol.

He's a really nice and interesting guy I'm looking forward to doing it.

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

I've never heard of this MGC although I have probably been on the website once and never went back again. It's interesting about the high cost of web hosting and not making any money from advertising because all the research I have done showed that online advertising can be pretty lucrative, especially if using google adsense and that the adverts have something to do with the website their on. Must have been a big website with alot of stuff on it if it was expensive to run, my web host charges £3.30 for cloud hosting or £16.99 for a dedicated server which changes depending on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by FC360 View Post
    It's interesting about the high cost of web hosting and not making any money from advertising because all the research I have done showed that online advertising can be pretty lucrative, especially if using google adsense and that the adverts have something to do with the website their on..
    A lot of the bandwidth would have gone to the gamercards, which appeared in people's signatures on many forums, but had no advertising on them. Flawed business model, but then Twitter has no revenue and that's worth billions apparently...

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jocky View Post
    A lot of the bandwidth would have gone to the gamercards, which appeared in people's signatures on many forums, but had no advertising on them. Flawed business model, but then Twitter has no revenue and that's worth billions apparently...
    ah yes, you are correct

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

Quote Originally Posted by FC360 View Post
    I've never heard of this MGC although I have probably been on the website once and never went back again. It's interesting about the high cost of web hosting and not making any money from advertising because all the research I have done showed that online advertising can be pretty lucrative, especially if using google adsense and that the adverts have something to do with the website their on. Must have been a big website with alot of stuff on it if it was expensive to run, my web host charges £3.30 for cloud hosting or £16.99 for a dedicated server which changes depending on demand.
    The guy had 5 million registered users with 13 million page requests per day... that's a big website. Dedicated server costs shouldn't be costed based on demand as that would mean you're not getting a dedicated server and instead using a virtual server. A dedicated server is your own box that you rent with full exclusivity - total hardware solution with full access by you and you alone. Your bandwidth is free, you can have unlimited domains (depending on your control panel, some are limited), unlimited emails and storage is limited only by the spec of the machine. The only reason you'd need to pay more based on demand is if the server becomes too congested by traffic taking up too many CPU or RAM resources and then you'd need to set up a mirror on a separate server to handle the payload. Any hosting companies who charge for "dedicated servers" and charge based on usage are, in my experience, overselling virtual servers on a shared machine but with an exclusive IP address so you have the impression of a dedicated server but without the exclusivity. Either that or they DO offer exclusive hardware but it's massively trimmed down shit in a dodgy server farm with a pipe that could burst at any moment. The £300 a month we pay for our server here may be expensive, but we get a fantastic machine on a huge pipe and fantastic performance. This poor guy must have been paying through the nose for his set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocky View Post
    Twitter has promoted tweets for a revenue stream now; they were introduced early last year and seem to be doing ok as I don't find them very intrusive at all. At best, I'll notice one or two a day but they never bother me. I think Twitter's worth is primarily from their brand popularity - it goes a long way these days. I remember a guy setting up a basic website about eleven years ago, building up a lot of traffic from basically nothing and selling it for millions even though it was of no use to anyone... except someone who wanted a domain that already had millions of people visiting it every day so that they had a captive audience. The "dotcom" bubble may have burst years ago, but people still pay millions (and billions) for websites... whereas really they're just paying for the label. Ironic really, as the web started out being very anti-corporate. First TV ad I ever saw with a domain name on screen was for Boots. Now there are likely more websites advertised on TV than actual corporations.

I digressed quite a bit there
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Gamer IDs

Turns out I have heard about them and even have a few signatures displaying my gamertag from there, anyone know any good replacement sites that display your gamertag in a forum signature?

+ Reply to Thread