+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New year resolution

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

Default New year resolution

So the new year us upon us and I was wondering about new year resoltuions. My ones are pretty bad ones, the first is to loose weight and the second is to get a job. So what are your new year resolutions for the next year jug you have any?

The Huggy One Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970 has a spectacular aura about Bear1970's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bearhugger70 PSN ID: bearhugger70 Steam ID: bear_1970_

No resolutions at all... They're a waste if time! Change should come as and when you want it, not as a result if another year round the sun!

Will I make changes in this revolution? Yes, I'll have to... Will they be profound? Fuck knows! But I doubt it! I did make a promise not to fester though so we'll see what occurs!
    I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM BEAR!

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MarkuzR PSN ID: MarkuzR Steam ID: MarkuzR

I'm also not in to new year resolutions, as I don't particularly subscribe to an "event" which was dictated to us by a group of monks deciding how long a year should last, even though it DOES make sense in terms of the seasons etc... but we'll ignore that obvious benefit for the time being.

I change whenever I feel like changing, so I'll do the same this year. I'm supposed to be getting back in to the gym but the way my chest feels this morning means that this is unlikely to start today, so that may end up being on hold until I can break free of this ridiculous whooping cough malarky. I'm also going to act upon my instincts a lot more than I have done in the past... I'm a pretty damn good judge of character but sometimes I allow those instincts to become clouded for the good of the people around me, or to give someone the benefit of the doubt and hope that they won't turn out to be the twat that I can see in their eyes and their gestures. Unfortunately, even a year down the line sometimes I end up being proven right... so I've wasted a year being a friend to someone who really doesn't deserve it. Same goes for in business my instincts tell me "Don't deal with these people" but the bank account tends to lean me towards the old "Let's see how it goes" option instead, and I end up wishing I'd stuck by my instincts some way down the line.

So that's my plan - to act on my instincts more and stop letting people persuade me that "They're probably really nice!" when my 30+ years of cynicism and people watching is screaming "What?! Are you fucking mental?? They're going to turn out to be a cunt... seriously man... step away from the assholes!!". Were it not for assholes, 2010 would have been a pretty awesome year for Lorna and I. It was the assholes who ruined it for us - the assholes who didn't pay their bills on time and and made it difficult for us to stay afloat, the assholes who shut down their businesses one day owing us thousands of pounds and opened up as a new company the next day to avoid paying anyone what they were due, the assholes who pretended to be nice people when it was clear that they'd turn on you as soon as you no longer had anything to offer them, the assholes who bitch and complain about the state of their own lives and expect everyone to rally around them and say "Aw, I'm really sorry, that's such a shame!" when really all they need to do is get off their arses and make the change themselves... assholes come in a lot of different flavours. My plan is to avoid them at all costs this year.

I also plan on having more time to myself. I'm fucking sick to DEATH of how much of my time GL swallows up... whether it's 3-4 hours a night editing an article ready for publication, spending two hours searching for "that" photo for the front page, all the time that it takes out of the day to collect stats and keep on top of everything that pops up throughout the day like downing tools to deal with a last minute competition when I should either be working on relaxing. I want to concentrate more on photography, more on my music, more on spending time with Lorna... and make sure all the plans we've made actually come to fruition and don't turn out to be a flash in the pan.

Most importantly though, it's the assholes. I've learned in the last week or so that I should scrape people off as soon as I know, unequivocally, that they have their own agenda. Watch out world, there's going to be a lot of scraping this year.

Also, I'm going to hassle the fuck out of Pete to make sure he doesn't end up in another fucking rut!!
    Oooooooh it's an invisible signature... oooooooooh!!
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Sack Toucher Kat will become famous soon enough Kat will become famous soon enough Kat's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x Libitina x

I don't tend to make them. I need to lose a few stone but I've needed to do that for a decade now :/ To lose one or two before my 30th would be ace. I'll dwell on that.

Also like that thought of "a blog a day". Mine would be boring as crap but fun to look back on personally and also see how long I last.

"Don't play with me,
    'cause you're playing with fire."

Banned Knikitta will become famous soon enough Knikitta will become famous soon enough Knikitta's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Knikitta PSN ID: Knikitta Steam ID: Knikitta Raptr ID: Knikitta

Lose weight, a lot of weight.

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

Don't you have some ppl who work on the website too MarkuzR? I expect a website like this to have about 3 or 4 people who can put up new articles and photos and such although saying that I would expect more if they all have different jobs that aren't in the gaming industry.

This new year has been strangely similar to start of 2010, I fell asleep at 4:30am well I fell asleep at 3am then woke up again at 4am the exact same thing happened last year.

My new year resolution is to not start any more nuclear wars.

I've signed up to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, although I am a little worried that I won't see it through. While my 2010 resolution to avoid cannibalism went pretty well, this is a big step up, and only this morning I was failing to open a jar of apricot jam and very nearly made Honolulu glow in the dark in response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blucey View Post
    Putting a lime filling in a Jaffa Cake doesn't make it "spooky". Unless you're selling it to me in a graveyard. And I'm not in a graveyard you biscuit/cake/not sure selling c***. I'm in Tesco wondering why the f*** all the food has been replaced with masks and Haribo.

Chief, innit MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR has much to be proud of MarkuzR's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Lorna does ALL the news herself, and is now taking two articles a week from me so I can relax a bit more. Lee does all the Twitter and Facebook stuff, so I'm not doing it 100% on my own but until November when Lorna took over so I could write "that bloody novel" I'd done 99% of the articles myself. I'm a graphic designer though, it's my job to make things look good and I think that asking someone who isn't a designer to make something look like it has been professionally laid out is a pretty bad idea as you'd lose consistency, so Lorna does great to capture the look and feel perfectly when she's doing them. Also, don't forget that the most important thing about the site is the writing of the articles themselves, and there are a LOT of folk doing a great job on that score!

If I had a choice of hiring someone to do the GL stuff for me or hire someone to do my day job while I concentrate on GL... I'd go for the second option
    "If you want me to 'act professional', I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what 'acting professionally' results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways."
    Linus Torvalds

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jocky View Post
    My new year resolution is to not start any more nuclear wars.

I've signed up to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, although I am a little worried that I won't see it through. While my 2010 resolution to avoid cannibalism went pretty well, this is a big step up, and only this morning I was failing to open a jar of apricot jam and very nearly made Honolulu glow in the dark in response.
    How did you manage to avoid the cannibalism? I've been trying since I was a kid but my fingers are still a fucking mess!
    Linus Torvalds

"The Voice" Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound has a spectacular aura about Jokesound's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jokesound Steam ID: Jokesound

As I said to Markuz, growing a backbone and losing my genetic likeness to Jellyfish is something I need to work on.
    As is a need to be more confident and happy with myself, exercise a lot more, actually get around to learning the guitar, writing more songs, and procrastinating a heck of a lot less.
    I have Uni assignments to do and so many things I want to write that I can't afford procrastination anymore.

Of course, I realise it's ridiculous to start doing those all today just cos it's a new year. I'm just going to gradually work on them all.

+ Reply to Thread