+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shopping for a HD TV, assistance welcome

Never at his post. Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rynstex PSN ID: Rynstex Steam ID: Rynstex

9 years is more than adequate for me in terms of gadgets (and I think the current EU directive is something along lines of electronics must last approx 7 years from date of purchase). I've had about 7 Xbox's break on me within a few years but still use them. The TV cost less (or on par with) than most iPhone contracts and to think they'd be obsolete within 18months.

Can't see me still using this TV in 5years to be honest, maybe moved into kids bedroom or something but as for main TV? I'd expect all the 3D LED scratch n sniff stuff to be at the forefront by then, and probably more.

Take apart the TV's and they are all the same underneath anyway, made in the same few factories by same few companies with just a different badge on it.

I'll let you know what I think FC360
    [Good Job Boots]

Never at his post. Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex is a jewel in the rough Rynstex's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Had to run into town on a battery run for a remote control car (7AA!) and walked past the Sony shop on my way in. Funny enough the TV I just ordered was in the window in all it's glory. Went in and had a look at it just for curiosity's sake and have to say I'm more than impressed. The picture was looking fantastic (they had a PS3 with LBP running on it) the set in the window had Planet Earth (or something similar on it), even bigger than I expected it to be as well so going to need a new TV stand too I think.

Worth mentioning as well the set itself was nice to look at which is a huge plus to me as it could have the best picture in the world but if looked horrible it would make it all for nothing.

So far so good
    [Good Job Boots]

Epic Karen Matthews Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey is a splendid one to behold Blucey's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: peacesquid

Well I just popped out and got myself a telly too as my last gaming telly had a bit of screenburn.

329 quid for Samsung 32inch. Looks and sounds great and plays media files from its USB port. Full 1080 as well. Happy.

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

I buy extended warranties if their cheap enough and the product I'm buying is expensive enough to warrant 1 although my dad keeps going on about how their useless as home insurance will cover the repair or replacement. I find warranties are misleading as they say 5 years extended warranty when in fact you are only getting 4 years extended as the first year is covered by the normal manufacturers warranty.

I purchased a printer 3 years ago and got something like an extended warranty but it was a PCWorld own brand service, something like whatever happens but a different name. I got my printer replaced twice during it and decided I wanted to renew it, rang up PCWorld and got told it would cost £25 to extend it by 2 years. It cost me £7.99 for 3 years and now they wanted to charge more then triple the original price of the service so I told them to stuff it and that I'm not shopping there again, and I haven't. Sure I've been on their website to check prices but I tend to buy from other shops now except on rare occasion where nowhere else has the product. So basically warranties are worth it when you buy the product as they usually have special offers or lower prices on them but don't renew as it will cost a lot.

My sister had a old Sony TV I used to own thats about 13 years old. she just recently threw it away for some reason, as far as I am aware the only problem it had was a barely visible black line going from the left to right of the screen.

Tip for you, Don't buy all products that are the same brand, I've got a LG DVD/surround sound, LG Blu ray and a LG TV and whenever I turn the blu ray on the surround sound system turns off and if I press eject they both eject, kinda annoying.

hows the new telly Ben/Knikitta??

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by justbiglee View Post
    hows the new telly Ben/Knikitta??
    Still in its box. Waiting for TV stand / HDMI cables
    [Good Job Boots]

Gamer IDs

Ok, I've got myself a HDMI cable and located a suitable stand, as such it's all set up and being used.

First thoughts
    • The set itself is gorgeous.
    • The picture is phenomenal.
    • The sound is a lot better than I expected (I have no surround sound yet).
    • I love how the TV menus are in the same style as the PS3.
    • The TV remote has an on/off switch on the back so I can turn it on/off without have move fingers.
    • It has Picture in Picture which is a bonus.

Once it was ready to be used first thing I tried was Wall-E on Blu-ray. To say the picture almost blew me away was an understatement, by far the best looking thing on a TV I've seen so far. I then tried an .mp4 via USB stick streamed via the PS3 and the up scaling of the PS3 works a treat and even on a standard def file the picture quality looks superb.

Played a bit of LittleBigPlanet on it and again, looks amazing. Only 360 title I've played so far has been Sonic and Sega (I watched it being played) and again the quality was brilliant.

Not tried regular TV yet but suspect I'll get similar results, thankfully have a V+ box so do have access to HD channels. Then watched Dark Knight on Blu-ray and again it looked fantastic. I got Knik a Superman box set of all the films and their remastered / alternate versions so we sat down on New Years Eve and watched the year 2000 remastered version of the original. Even that was enjoyable.

So yeah - mega happy with the TV (owe Lee a cake) and will be even more so once I get some surround sound plugged into it. Not tried on my PC yet for fear of Warcraft looking a bit too good.

Now if only I could watch / use it for something myself other than bloody Pixar marathons >.<
    [Good Job Boots]

I'm doing my I told you so dance

Senior Member FC360 will become famous soon enough FC360's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FC360D Steam ID: FC360

I miss Picture in picture on my TV Such a good feature to have, have a TV show playing while you play a game brilliant feature

The Virgin Destroyer Van-Fu San will become famous soon enough Van-Fu San's Avatar

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vice Destroyer PSN ID: ViceDestroyer Steam ID: ViceDestroyer Raptr ID: Verflucht

Lee is the man when it comes to choosing electronics. Pleased to hear that you love your new TV. I am overflowing with gadget love by proxy.

+ Reply to Thread